Sunday, April 18, 2010

yum's the word

tonight i made homemade cookies and cream ice cream for the first time! i found an ice cream maker over a year ago while home visiting my family and asked my mom if i could have it. i brought it home with every intention of using it all the time, but instead it ended up in storage. i decided to test it out and make sure it works before taking it with me to nashville. i was nervous i would mess it up - i've never made ice cream before except in high school in my "food technology" class, where i dumped an ingredient into the bin. vicki told me to be sure and put something underneath it or else i would get salt everywhere, which was a very helpful tip that i definitely would not have thought about.



one of the reasons i haven't made ice cream until now is because i thought it took hours to make, but i quickly learned that i was wrong about that! about 20 minutes after i turned it on it stopped, and i thought "well, i guess it doesn't work". wrong! i couldn't believe how quickly it was finished. i loved the cookies and cream and can't wait to try other flavors, especially pineapple. i really loved the recipe for ice cream that vicki uses, it's simple to make and easy to remember.

2 quarts of half and half
3 cups of sugar
4 teaspoons of vanilla

after putting in these ingredients i put in broken up double stuf oreos until they reached the fill line. the ice cream it made was oh so delicious!



-meghan

3 comments:

  1. That looks really good. If you're like me, now that you've figured out your new gadget you're going to be experimenting with it a lot. If you do why not try making some soy ice cream and let me know how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds fun! My parents have an old-fashioned wooden one that you actually have to crank by hand. I think it takes a little longer than 20 minutes. You can make ice cream all summer long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sure looks yummy. I'm lazy now though, I just go to Walmart and buy Blue Bell or whatever kind that looks good.

    ReplyDelete